Saturday, March 28, 2009

Is it over yet???

Hi everyone- that question applies to both winter and the flood! Granted, I have not much to complain about, we still have our house and the water is nowhere near us, but I am getting very tired of all the problems that come with this flood. I spent all last week carrying around my suitcase after spending one night at Bil and Marks in Harwood so I wouldn't miss work. There has been so many questions about what the river is going to do - and Tom is making us take vacation time if we miss work (and I'll be damned if I will waste a vac day on that!). So day to day I try to decide where I will spend the nite. Right now I am at home (Sat) after I just tried to get to the lake to see Dillon (I miss him soooo much!!). I-29 is blocked from Hwy 200 south so if I want to get to the lake or Harwood for that matter I have to go to Casselton to get there! I will need to do that either Sunday nite or very very early Monday morning to get to work the way it sounds cause as the ice and snow melts, the water over the interstate and 81 is only going to get worse for the next few days. Again, I hate to complain about this, but it just ticks me off.

Now for the real problems - my Grandma Elliott was evacuated from Bethany Homes to a place in Bismarck for goodness sakes - they took them on a 30 minute plane ride! I haven't talked to her to see how that went yet, but we know she got there safe and she is ok. I worry about her. Jenn and Mike have been sandbagging all week so they are exhausted, Greg has been pumping the yard all week because the ditches are still frozen to a certain extent and the snow is still melting filling the yard with water, and he also has to make sure the sump pump keeps running, and he is supposed to go to Fergus Falls this Tuesday to start his class for Crop Adjusting. He call his "boss" and told him the problems around here, and he said with his background they would possibly waive this class and just let him do the reading and classwork on his own. So that was good news, cause if I have to stay in Harwood - someone needs to be here for Riley and to watch the pump. Oof - what mess! I hate when plans get changed - it drives me crazy!

Also - while Billie and Mark were in Norway, we had to try to decide what they would do with this flood coming. On Wed nite when I stayed there, Dana their neighbor called me and said that the city was very very nervous that they would not be able to get the equipment they needed to build the dike on the north road by their house. He said he was getting all the "important" things out of his basement and advised us to do the same for Bil and Mark. Now, how do you decided what is important for someone else??? I just started bringing up all the small stuff that I could carry and then we called in help the next day for the bigger things. We basically took all the electronics, pictures, and anything we thought that would be irreplaceable. My only concern is that I was the one that unhooked the computer, internet, speakers, tv, etc. You can imagine what mass of wires that was - I sure hope my favorite brother in law can get it all put back together without too much trouble! They fly into Mpls Sunday at 5:30 so they will call to see what the options are - whether they should drive home that nite or wait till Monday morning. So many questions! Everyone in our area wants this to be done!! With no more damage to anything! Pray for spring - when this will all be a memory! Take care everyone! Love, Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment